For those of you who whiz through the Garden Route on your way down- or up-country, there’s a gem tucked behind the lush greenery, waiting to be discovered. If you want to avoid the crowds of holidaymakers, forget the usual stop-offs and rather take the path less travelled – we guarantee you’ll be delighted with what’s on offer. Located just 7 minutes from George Airport is the Hyatt Regency Oubaai Golf Resort and Spa – but you don’t necessarily need to check into the hotel to access all the fantastic facilities. Offering everything from fine dining and art displays, to design wonders and many forms of ultimate relaxation, this all-in-one destination will keep the entire family entertained. The magnificent Hyatt Regency opened its doors in 2009 and the resort has gained popularity ever since. It isn’t only the reputation of the hotel that keep visitors coming back for more, but also the endless things to do on the property. The Village Market featuring several stores, unmissable eateries and interesting stops is a must-see when visiting the vicinity. Here we’ve summed up some of the top attractions that caught our eye…
- Restaurants: Head to the Waterside Bar for a cocktail at sundown or to the interactive-style Waterside Grill for a delicious meal; Cucina is the hotel’s signature restaurant where you can enjoy scrumptious Sunday lunches prepared in French haute cuisine style.
- Golf: Golf lovers will be in their element with the Ernie Els-designed 18-hole championship golf course, SA Golf Hall of Fame and The Best of Golf Memorabilia showroom.
- Art and design: Creative types simply have to pop into the FAD, ‘Furniture, Art & Design’ store – there are several items to marvel at and inspiring artwork on display that changes every few weeks.
- Wedding fever: Visit the Bridal Studio to view some fabulous dresses, shoes, table settings and decor ideas for your big day.
- Fresh goodies: Make sure you stop by the Oubaai Bakery to get your helping of fresh bread and confectionery daily.
- Dolling up: Glow Hair & Beauty is perfect for a girl’s day out – pay them a visit for hair, nail and beauty treatments.
- Pampering: The award-winning Freesia Spa is the ultimate place to unwind; enjoy a blend of traditional African remedies and European treatments to energise, calm and nourish the body and soul.
- For the kids: Leave your kids with professionals at the Camp Hyatt Kids Club while you enjoy the resort; kids aged 4-12 years will be entertained and educated between the hours of 9am and 5pm daily. For more details including fees and reservations please go here.
- Explore: Tours for South Africa operate from the premises so you can arrange day tours, planned trips, transfers and more to make the most of visiting this unique part of the country.
- Get out: The lovely thing about this location is the inevitable closeness that you feel with nature. Wherever you look, there is endless greenery and beautiful scenery. Some of the top outdoor activities on our list include the rooftop tennis court, the 8km Oubaai Heritage Hiking Trail through the fynbos and the whale-viewing deck, which offers 180-degree views of the Indian Ocean.
Hyatt Regency Oubaai Golf Resort & Spa, 406 Herolds Bay Road, George. For more information you can phone 044-851-1234 or visit oubaai.regency.hyatt.com. You can also go here to enjoy a 360 degree virtual tour of the premises. Text: Kim Grové