Summer Cooler Recipes
Posted: 05 December 2011
Cool down this summer with these three fabulous recipes from Savour, a spectacular new addition to the SA cookbook scene.
Litchi granitaServes 6–8 Ingredients
- 1 litre litchi juice
- 1 cup chopped fresh purple basil
- 8 shots of vodka
- Pour the litchi juice into a shallow dish and freeze. Remove from the freezer, scrape with a fork to create crushed litchi ice and refreeze.
- Repeat this process twice more, but instead of refreezing a third time, scoop the crushed litchi ice into a blender and whizz with the chopped basil.
- Scoop the granita into small glasses and cover each with a tot of vodka.
Kiwi, mint and lime crushServes 4–6 Ingredients
- 4 kiwi fruits, peeled and diced
- 4–6 sprigs mint, washed
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup clear apple juice
- Purée all the ingredients in a blender, pour into a container and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and break up the ice crystals. Refreeze for approximately 1 hour.
Roasted fruit with elderflower sorbetServes 4–6 Ingredients
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 4 mangoes, outer rounded edges removed and thickly sliced
- 2 pineapples, peeled and sliced into thick rings or long slices
- 1 coconut, meat roughly broken into shards
- Whisk together the lime juice, honey and melted butter, and use to brush the fruit (on both sides).
- Grill on the barbecue until nicely roasted.
- Serve with the following elderflower sorbet.
- 150 ml elderflower syrup
- 3 egg whites
- chopped fresh mint to taste
- 1 kg crushed ice
- extra fresh mint for garnishing
- Whizz all the ingredients in a blender.
- Place in a shallow dish and set in the freezer. Remove just before serving and scrape into glasses.
- Garnish with fresh mint.