HL Food Issue is out now!
Following the success of the inaugural House and Leisure Food issue in 2011, the second special-edition HL Food issue is now available countrywide. Featuring recipes from some leading local chefs, this year’s collection covers a wide range of dishes from sophisticated to relaxed, and budget-friendly to indulgent. ‘We have again focused on a spread of recipes that will captivate both the accomplished chef and the keen cook,’ says Naomi Larkin, editor of House and Leisure. ‘This year’s selection showcases beautifully the level of quality and accessibility that readers of HL have come to expect from the magazines’ food section every month. We’ve drawn on old favourites as well as created new recipes specifically for this collection. ‘Contributors include top South African chefs such as Peter Tempelhoff, Christiaan Campbell, Werner Snoek, Eric Bulpitt, Kevin Gouws and Malika van Reenen. Local foodie personalities Tina Bester, Suzi Holtzhauzen and the Ras sisters are also in the line-up, as are previous HL food editors and cookbook authors Phillippa Cheifitz and Neil Roake. The contribution of our current food editor, Raphaella Frame, deserves a special mention as she has created many of the dishes selected.’ The recipes in the issue are grouped into four sections – Easy Living, Summer, Winter and Luxury, which is in line with the magazine’s annual themes. Each represents a time and mood that everyone can relate to: relaxed suppers, seaside picnics, fireside meals, dressed-up dinner parties and more. ‘House and Leisure Food is aimed at food lovers and people who enjoy cooking and entertaining,’ says Raphaella. ‘Mouth-watering food need not be fancy, but then again, a bit of food theatre to entertain friends is never a bad idea. We have a recipe for every taste.’ Some of the recipes featured are:
- Snoek fishcakes with spicy potato wedges and chutney
- Warm Moroccan spiced lamb salad with couscous
- Tagliatelle with peas, ricotta and mint
- Courgette and lemon curd cupcakes with cream cheese icing
- Chicken wraps with plum sauce, spring onions and cucumber
- Croissant bread and butter pudding
- Fig, honey and ginger yoghurt tart
Special OfferFind a 15% Le Creuset discount card on the cover of every HL Food issue! Please see the back of the card for more details. Also remember that you can purchase the magazine at Le Creuset boutique stores nationwide. Don’t miss this brilliant offer!
Chef Vox PopsJoin us as we get to know some of the chefs behind the magazine! We talk all things foodie related, from their food forecasts for the year, to their favourite cook books and childhood meal memories. Read our exclusive interviews here:
- Kirsten Zschokke Q&A (owner of Miss K Eatery)
- Peter Tempelhoff Q&A (Executive Chef, The Greenhouse)
- Malika van Reenen Q&A (Executive Chef, The Signal Restaurant, The Cape Grace)
- Werner Snoek Q&A (Executive Chef, Toadbury Hall)
- Christiaan Campbell Q&A (Restaurant Chef at the Delaire Graff Estate)