Changing your wallpaper is one of the easiest ways to give a room a makeover – and these days there are endless options and ways of doing it. From mix ‘n’ match wallpaper strips to vinyl wall decals and even wall tattoos, it can be overwhelming to know what works best. Interior designer and design trend expert Michelle Trimborn from Design Quarters gave us some insight:
Most fabric houses also stock their own brands of wallpaper now, as well as imported wallpapers. The benefit of using a fabric house is that they consider their fabrics when selecting what range of wallpaper to offer. Here are some outlets we recommend:
- What Not Fabrics (021-465-1217) have a stunning ‘a la Ralph Lauren’ range called Les Creations, which features trendy stripes and checks.
- St Leger & Viney have several gorgeous ranges.
- James Russell Agencies (021-461-8644) have the luxurious Harlequin and Chelsea ranges.
- Mavromac stock beautiful options such as Donghia and Colefax.
Here are a few more things to keep in mind:
- Remember that wallpapers made from natural fibre or material such as grasses, show their seams strongly. Initially they will ‘jump out’ at you but you will stop seeing them in the short term.
- Don’t use a cheap installer. You will have glue oozing out between panels and on top of seams. Each of the fabric houses mentioned above will have a preferred supplier or two.
- The style of wallpaper you choose depends on the theme you have set for your room, as well as the elements of design you are trying to bring into the space. This can sound very overwhelming, so if you need help with learning how to decorate, join us on our ‘Learn How to Decorate Like a Professional’ workshops. You can find out more about them here.
- Remember that your wallpapered wall tends to be the focal point of the room. If you don’t want it to be, then choose a toned down option.
For more advice on how to prepare a wall for wallpapering, please click here.
Have you got a particular question about a decor, food, or DIY issue? Email it to email@example.com and we’ll do our best to answer it!