House and Leisure Before & After 2018: House #6
Every year, our readers enter their upgraded homes into our annual renovations competition. This year's finalists are simply brilliant. The winners are determined by reader votes, so make sure to vote for your favourite. The winners of the House and Leisure Before & After competition will receive a trip for two to Thailand for a 5-star break. Incredible prizes are up for grabs by 13 lucky readers, just by voting for their favourite reader's home or room renovation. Prizes include Caesarstone Surfaces to the value of R10 000, a Sophia chandelier from K Light worth R10 000, a two-night stay for four guests sharing at Abalone House's Pool Villas, in Paternoster on the West Coast, worth R12 000 and much more! You can only vote once, so be sure to choose wisely.
Reader's Renovation: House #6
When it came to their Hyde Park apartment renovation, there was no other option for the Bezuidenhouts but to be hands-on.
Bailey's Top 5 Renovation Tips
- Add a contingency allowance to your budget. Ideas grow, plans change and things always end up costing more than you think.
- Decide on your finishes before each process starts. You don’t want to be holding up the kitchen because you haven’t found the right tiles.
- Retain the character of your home in a way that makes sense. Although we gutted our apartment, it still feels authentic.
- Do your final snag list once you’ve moved in. Little things that you wouldn’t have noticed previously always pop up.
- Find a builder who is a pleasure to work with. Our builder, Elzabe de Klerk of paint ICU, made our renovation a really good experience.