House and Leisure Before & After 2018: House #4
Every year, our readers enter their upgraded homes into our annual renovations competition. This year's finalists are simply brilliant. The winners are determined by reader votes, so make sure to vote for your favourite. The winners of the House and Leisure Before & After competition will receive a trip for two to Thailand for a 5-star break. Incredible prizes are up for grabs by 13 lucky readers, just by voting for their favourite reader's home or room renovation. Prizes include Caesarstone Surfaces to the value of R10 000, a Sophia chandelier from K Light worth R10 000, a two-night stay for four guests sharing at Abalone House's Pool Villas, in Paternoster on the West Coast, worth R12 000 and much more! You can only vote once, so be sure to choose wisely.
Reader's Renovation: House #4
A once-dated KwaZulu-Natal cottage is now the epitome of cool coastal living thanks to a clever update.
The McClearys' Top 5 Renovation Tips
- Familiarise yourself with your space before you begin planning your renovation. Spending time in it is the only way to work out which changes will be the most practical to make.
- Consider your lifestyle. In this house, entertaining was key, but the weather often makes sitting near the pool unpleasant, so the courtyard allows for outdoor living in all weather conditions.
- Choose durable finishes and fixtures. A home that looks good for years is people-proof.
- Don't be afraid of using white. It is amazingly practical because it's easy to clean – white linen, curtains and upholstery can be bleached, and floors scrubbed. A white base gives a lovely fresh, airy feel that instantly updates a space.
- Try something bold. Striking details give a home personality.