House and Leisure Before & After 2018: House #1
Every year, our readers enter their upgraded homes into our annual renovations competition. This year's finalists are simply brilliant. The winners are determined by reader votes, so make sure to vote for your favourite. The winners of the House and Leisure Before & After competition will receive a trip for two to Thailand for a 5-star break. Incredible prizes are up for grabs by 13 lucky readers, just by voting for their favourite reader's home or room renovation. Prizes include Caesarstone Surfaces to the value of R10 000, a Sophia chandelier from K Light worth R10 000, a two-night stay for four guests sharing at Abalone House's Pool Villas, in Paternoster on the West Coast, worth R12 000 and much more! You can only vote once, so be sure to choose wisely.
Reader's Renovation: House #1
‘Simple’, ‘modern’ and ‘open plan’ were the three key ideas that guided the Spangenbergs' renovation in Victory Park, Johannesburg.
The Spangenbergs' Top 5 Renovation Tips
- Pick a professional team whose vision and ethics you trust.
- Make sure you stay involved in all key decisions and carefully consider the trusted advice from your team, but remember that the buck stops with you.
- Give the professional and contracting team continuous feedback. Good feedback is as important as bad feedback.
- As long as you are satisfied the artisans are putting in the effort, do not rush them. Getting things right over two days is much better than a shoddy one-day job.
- To save space in your children's bedrooms in a way that doesn't compromise style, opt for built-in desks. This also ensures that you won't have to buy additional furniture.