5 steps to the perfect patio
Posted: 25 April 2016
Using the renovation of this sophisticated patio as inspiration, our #HLmakeover guru offers tips for turning a dull outdoor area into a stylish veranda.
1. go for tilesExtend and even your outside area with neutral matt tiling. Tiles are water-, dirt- and weather-resistant, which makes cleaning that much easier.
2. include an outdoor rugSouth African living often extends outside, so why not incorporate a rug on your patio to define it as a living area too. With the wide range available nowadays, you'll be spoiled for choice – we recommend you choose something graphic and patterned.
3. incorporate pot plantsIt's amazing what a bit of greenery can do for a space, so consider buying a few outdoor plants and including them in the corners and along the sides of your patio to give it a bit of life.
4. choose outdoor furniture and fabric carefullyWith our harsh sun, it is very important to research outdoor fabrics well and pick the correct furniture so that it lasts in these conditions. You might need to invest in more expensive pieces in order to avoid having to replace them every few years.
5. treat your patio as an extension of your homeYou will welcome your guest into your home first and then lead them through to the outside area, so the inside and outdoor zones need to flow into one another. For this reason, be bold and adventurous and choose the sorts of fabrics and accessories you would want inside too. If your house is colourful and bright, extend this outdoors; if it features muted, natural tones, go for a monochromatic colour scheme on your veranda to match.
See page 115 of our May 2016 issue for details on all products used in this makeover.