Posted: 20 April 2015
Rand Water estimates that the demand for water in SA will outstrip supply by 2025. Do your bit to protect this valuable natural resource with these savvy tips:
- Check for leaks in taps, pipes and dishwasher hoses. Remember, one leaking tap can waste more than 2,000L a month.
- Install water-efficient taps or tap aerators – it’s a great, inexpensive way to cut your water usage without you even noticing.
- Automatic dishwashers can use up to 40L of water per load. By using a dishwasher with at least a 3 star/AAA rating, you can reduce this figure to 18L per load and still get the kind of sparkling clean dishes you’re used to. Wait until you have a full load in your dishwasher before using it - this saves water and energy, and reduces the amount of detergent entering the sewerage system.
- Installing one of the latest 3 star/AAA rating showerheads can give you a great shower and save you around 10L of water a minute. You’ll also save on electricity costs, as you’ll use less hot water.
- Pool covers reduce the amount of water you need to keep your pool full and running efficiently.
- Keep a container of water in the fridge so that you won’t need to run the water down the sink until it’s cool enough to drink.
- If you have space, install a water tank to harvest rainwater. It is clean and free and perfect for watering gardens.
- Washing fruit and vegetables in a half-filled sink instead of under running water is a great way to cut back on water wastage.
- Thaw frozen foods before you need them or use the microwave instead of placing them under running water.