A continent curated at the 2017 Art Africa Fair
Posted: 23 February 2017
Taking place at the V&A Waterfront’s Watershed, this year’s Art Africa Fair will be showcasing the best visual and performance artists the continent has to offer. We rounded up five exciting aspects to expect from the annual event.
1. opening performanceThursday’s VIP preview will see Mozambican artist Lizette Chirrime welcome visitors with an intriguing performance, while The Chop Bar turns their love of traditional authentic Nigerian, Ivorian and Ghanaian cuisine into culinary theatricals.
2. a photography focusAlso on opening night, Uche Okpa-Iroha will be curating Afrikainosis – a sociological and artistic concept that aims to upend preconceived ideas about Africa by the West through photography.
3. expert curationThis year’s event will feature an illustrious program of curators such as Salimata Diop of Senegal and Pierre-Christophe Gam of Cameroon. The curators are set to bring their diverse choices to the Fair – guaranteeing a comprehensive overview of art in Africa.
4. bright young thingsUsing art as a way to take action, Art Africa Fair invited eight promising young artists including Francois Knoetze, Siwa Mgoboza and Joana Choumali to unveil exclusive work to the public. The projects they're presenting explore notions of nationality, authenticity, migration and borders.
5. that art partyOn Saturday 25 February, artists and art lovers are invited to THAT ART PARTY. This brilliant celebration boasts a lineup of musicians from across the continent and is not to be missed.
The Art Africa Fair is taking place from Thursday 23 February to Sunday 5 March 2017 at the Watershed in Cape Town. Tickets are available via webtickets.co.za.