5 reasons to own the #HLFamilyIssue
The May 2017 edition of House and Leisure is now on shelves, and we’ve turned our attention to modern family living to bring you the latest trends, ideas and inspiration. From top SA designers sharing their family-friendly homes to a city break with kids in Berlin, read on for a sneak peek inside the #HLFamilyIssue.
1. a first look at the new Silo HotelInside an old grain-storage facility, an architecturally innovative hotel emerges as one of Cape Town's top guest addresses. Discover what went into the creation of this ground-breaking establishment in the Silo District, which is a study in embracing the old while creating the new. See pages 32 and 33 to find out more. For a glimpse at the interiors, browse through our gallery here.
2. family-living in style with top South African designersFrom considered ceramic collections to fresh feature walls, the details in these kid-friendly houses inspire an almost childlike sense of wonder. Explore the contemporary Melville home of Greg Gamble, cofounder of Tonic Design (page 48); discover the secrets of the living with children in style with Anatomy Design's Andrea Kleinloog (page 58); view the cool yet casual home of Urbanative's Mpho Vackier in Irene, Centurion (page 66) and, lastly, take a look at South African fashion designer Craig Port's luxe but still lived-in home on the Atlantic Seaboard (page 72).
3. how to design a festivalOur features editor Kholeka Khumalo reviews Littlegig, South Africa's first and only non-stop 24-hour festival that celebrates exceptional creativity in food, music, fashion, design and art. From edible 'ashtrays' designed by headline chef Rasmus Munk and Hoik's wearable sculptures, discover all that Littlegig has to offer on page 84.
4. a fairytale garden in ItalyStroll through the world-renowned Garden of Ninfa, an Italian natural wonder created by the Caetani family – and more especially, by three generations of remarkable women. Read the full story on page 92 or find more romantic Italian gardens here.
5. a family travel destination like no otherUrban but green, fast-paced yet relaxed, Germany's capital city, Berlin, is our hip holiday destination this month – and take the kids along, too. Find out more about where to go and what to see in this contemporary and beautiful city on page 100.
Get your May issue of House and Leisure in stores or online.