The annual Fairtrade Fortnight is set to challenge the world one bite at a time.
In the interests of growing and trading foods fairly and ethically, the campaign aims to inspire the next generation of leaders and decision makers to make the right choice in purchasing and endorsing Fairtrade products. The Fairtrade Fortnight concept is the kick off to a two year long overhaul campaign to change the way the world for the better by endorsing products that are certified by a sustainable and ethical label.
This year you can expect promotions and competitions galore at a selection of leading retailers and events – what better way to educate your friends and family about making better food choices!
So what is Fairtrade exactly? In a nutshell, Fairtrade products are:
- Grown without harmful chemicals – Fairtrade encourages sustainable, non-harmful production with a long term approach to environmental protection
- Certified according to the highest labour standards – eg. no forced labour or child labour
- Handled and traded fairly – farms are audited annually to ensure that the whole supply chain complies with these standards
- Sold at a fair price – costs reflect sustainable production
- Giving back to the community – for every Fairtrade sale, small farmers and farm workers get a Fairtrade Premium to invest in community projects
WHAT TO LOOK OUR FOR DURING FAIRTRADE FORTNIGHT:
1. Pick n Pay Fairtrade promo – Earn double points on your Smartcard when purchasing Fairtrade products for the duration of the campaign.
2. Taste of Cape Town – Come taste a wide range of Fairtrade products from 10-12 April
3. #ThePowerOfYou – Invite your friends, family and followers to use the hashtag and their power to change the world. Search the hashtag on social media and discover other participating outlets’ competitions and invitations.
4. Facebook competition – Snap a superhero selfie with your favourite Fairtrade product and post it on the Fairtrade Facebook page to win awesome prizes!
WHEN: 30 March – 12 April 2015
For more info visit fairtrade.org.za