We’ve rounded up the top five Joburg spots where you can enjoy a sophisticated high tea. Nibble on cucumber sandwiches while drinking out of delicate fine china.
- High tea at The Saxon is a must-try for anyone looking to treat themselves. After being chauffeured from the parking lot to the hotel you’ll enjoy high tea in the library or outside by the pool. Choose from a wide range of teas or a glass of champagne (if you’re celebrating something). They offer everything from fruit skewers to lemon meringue pies, chocolate mousse cake, strawberry tarts and savoury tarts, macaroons, and mini red velvet cupcakes. 011 292 6000
- Morrells Boutique Estate‘s high tea is grand affair, which needs prior notice, so make sure you book in advance. It would be a shame to miss out on something as delicious as a candy floss pavlova with rose-scented strawberries or a bruschetta of kudu carpaccio with goat’s cheese and a peach chutney. Select 10 items from their impressive and extensive menu and feel like royalty. 011 476 9495
- Belle’s Patisserie in the BluBird Centre as well as Sandton City, offers a mouth-watering ‘high tea for two’. For R132 per person, it includes a drink, a selection of sandwiches, delicate macaroons and the most delicious cupcakes you’ll ever taste. 011 440 4474
- 54 on Bath offers a traditional afternoon tea. While trying all their yummy sweet and savoury treats, guests can enjoy a variety of teas including Dilmah teas. From traditional cucumber and cream cheese, beef and mustard, and salmon sandwiches; to scones, cakes and an assortment of tarts – you are guaranteed a delightful afternoon at one of Jozi’s trendiest hotels. High tea is served every day from 15:30-17:00 and costs R160 per person. 011-344-8500
- The Patisserie in Illovo do a lovely high tea on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 2 – 5pm. For R250 per person, there is a wide selection of high tea fare. Enjoy a glass of Prosecco or a choice of teas. Don’t leave without trying their salmon & cream cheese sandwiches and the spinach & feta pies. Those with a sweet tooth can enjoy mini scones with cream & jam or a slice of opera cake.011 268 0022.
Compiled by Katharyn Williams-Jaftha