The HL Trends Dinner
Last night House and Leisure celebrated the launch of both our third annual Food Issue and the January/February 2013 Trends issue. Together with a select group of media and bloggers, we met at Joburg's latest hot spot - The Beach in Braamfontein, which was featured in the January/February issue. The rooftop venue provided a spectacular setting, in no small part thanks to the blinking cityscape surrounding it. House and Leisure’s annual Trend Report is a comprehensive forecast of the design, decor, lifestyle, food and leisure trends that will shape the country's lifestyle for the year ahead. The evening was all about showcasing these trends, and 24 of the most exciting were incorporated into the dinner. From micro-bakeries to metallic decor, island style chic and jelly desserts, guests were treated to a preview of the year ahead's defining trends. Now in its third edition, House and Leisure Food is a collection of recipes to inspire anyone interested in food and cooking. Contributors to this year’s issue include top South African chefs, such as Peter Tempelhoff, Craig Cormack, Bertus Basson, Clare and Fiona Ras, Brian Smit and previous HL food editors and cookbook authors Phillippa Cheifitz and Neil Roake. Sydney-based food stylist and editor Michele Cranston also contributed to the issue, and acknowledgement for much of the line-up must be given to HL’s current Food Editor, Raphaella Frame-Tolmie. Taking inspiration from the varied selection of 61 recipes, we served a variety of dishes from the issue itself. On arrival, guests enjoyed Bombay Sapphire Gin and Tonics, a trend for 2013 that we're particularly fond of. The fantastic bar service was courtesy of Thirst Bar Services, who did a great job making sure no one's glass was empty. Canapés were inspired by recipes in our Trends issue, and prepared by the talented Lara Meter of Food Goddess (email firstname.lastname@example.org). A highlight of the evening was the 'guilt-free barbecue', where we enjoyed Kobe-style beef burgers and other ethically reared meats from Braeside Butchery, bread from the talented Bread Gypsy and wines from our Winery of the Month, Oak Valley. The casual ambience was enhanced by another 2013 trend - bench seating - while guests were seated under a stylish Bedouin tent provided by Nomadik Stretch Tents and Canopies. Post-dinner cocktails contained Primitiv chilli-infused vodka, leaving everyone on a rather scintillating buzz. The stylish table settings and seating area were made possible thanks to the following design talent:
- Wooden and laser cut benches by Pretoria-based design team, Emerging Creatives.
- Island Chic table setting linen by Clinton Friedman.
- Green lanterns by Light a Lantern.
- Wine tumblers from @home.
- Flowers selected and arranged by Gloss Concepts and provided by Flower Zone.
- HL's very own downloadable paper place mats.
- Metallic nail varnish from OPI
- Love Milo ceramic jugs
- Stud earrings by Sass Diva
- Skull Apothecary vanilla soaps by Sobeit Studio
- Delicious chocolates by Melt Chocolates
- A Givenchy Dahlia Noir gift set
- Flamingo pendants from The Pendant Warehouse
- Vintage stamp washi tape by Francesca Mills (email email@example.com)
- DIY fox cross-stitch sets by Lauren Fowler
- Melissa's poppycock popcorn