TURKISH DELIGHT AND SALTED MACADAMIA NUT ICE CREAM
- 1 litre full-cream milk
- 1 litre fresh cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 250g sugar (adjust sweetness according to own taste)
- 3T rose water or 1T elachi syrup*
- 250g good-quality Turkish delight, chopped
- 150g salted Macadamia nuts, chopped
- a pinch ground cardamom
- 3–4 drops of red food colouring
- pashmak, to serve
- rose petals, to garnish (optional)
- fresh figs, to serve (optional)
Bring the milk to the boil in a large saucepan, then set it aside to cool. Stir in the cream. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick, then add to the milk mixture, stirring to combine. Add the rose water, Turkish delight, macadamia nuts, cardamom and food colouring, and stir through. Pour the mixture into an ice-cream maker and churn for 20 to 30 minutes. Pour the mixture into individual moulds or a loaf tin and freeze until set. To serve, remove the portions from the moulds and decorate them with pashmak (or candyfloss) and rose petals, and serve with fresh figs. Serves 6–8
*Elachi is a rose-and-cardamom syrup that is available at most Indian spice stores.
This recipe originally featured in the September 2013 issue of HL.