recipe: grilled lamb chops and irish potatoes mean sunday roast with a twist
Sunday roast: a hearty mix of roast beef and potatoes with lashings of gravy and crispy roast veg, a well-loved tradition in many countries, South Africa included. For a unique spin on your weekly favourites, try these two recipes that are slight on effort but big on flavour.
grilled lamb chops with mint chimichurri sauce
Serves 4 – 6
6 – 8 lamb cutlets, grilled
Mint Chimichurri Sauce
45ml Staffords Capers in Vinegar, drained
60ml Staffords pitted Green Olives
3 spring onions, trimmed and roughly chopped
125ml fresh flat leaf parsley, trimmed
15ml Staffords garlic paste
45ml Staffords mint jelly
20ml Staffords mint sauce
60ml olive oil
5ml dried chilli flakes (optional)
Salt & milled black pepper
- Finely chop, either by hand or in a food processor, the capers, green olives, spring onions and parsley.
- Place the chopped ingredients into a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Whisk well to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve at once, or keep covered in the fridge for up to 12 hours.
Cooks Note – the Mint Chimichurri Sauce is also delicious served with a roasted leg of lamb or as a dressing on grilled halloumi slices.
colcannon with creamed horseradish
Serves 4 – 6
30ml olive oil
5 spring onions, thinly sliced
100g cabbage or Brussel sprouts, finely shredded
4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
30 – 45ml creamed horseradish (try Staffords)
100g cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and ground white pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the spring onions and cabbage or Brussel sprouts for 2-3 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes until tender, drain well and return to the pan.
- Place the butter and milk into a small pan and heat, until the butter is melted.
- Pour the hot mixture over the hot potatoes and mash until the potatoes are light and fluffly.
- Stir in the creamed horseradish and cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Fold in the reserved cabbage mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with grilled sausages, roast chicken or meatloaf.