Pan-roasted fish stuffed with wild mushrooms and tarragon
- 1.5kg whole kabeljou, barramundi or other mild-tasting linefish, cleaned
- 300g mixed mushrooms, including pine, shiitake, morel, Swiss brown and chestnut
- 50g butter
- 4t olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 small shallots, finely sliced
- zest of ½ a lemon
- 1½t fresh tarragon leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
Rinse the fish, pat it dry with paper towels, and set aside. To make the stuffing, brush off any dirt on the mushrooms and chop them roughly. Fry the butter and 3t oil over a medium heat, then add the garlic and shallots and sauté lightly. Add the mushrooms and sauté for a further three to four minutes. Add the lemon zest, tarragon and seasoning, and continue to cook for a further two to three minutes.
Remove the mushroom mixture from the heat to cool, then stuff it into the fish and secure it with cooking twine that has been soaked in water. Heat a large frying pan with 1t of oil and, when hot, place the fish in the pan. Cook it for six to eight minutes, then turn it over and cook for another six to eight minutes, or until done. SERVES 4–6
Find more sea-fresh recipes in next month’s issue (May 2015) on shelves soon!