Oxtail Agnolotti with Parmesan Cheese Sauce recipe
Famed South African chef Peter Tempelhoff, Group Executive Chef for The Collection by Liz McGrath, created this hearty winter meal which is guaranteed to banish the winter blues. Ingredients for Oxtail: 500g oxtail 2 carrots 1 onion 1 stick celery 2 cloves garlic 1 tbs tomato paste 1 cup red wine 500ml beef stock or water 60ml oil bay leaves peppercorns 5ml chopped thyme 1ml truffle oil (optional) salt Directions:
- Sear the oxtail in a hot thick bottomed pot with half the oil until browned, remove and reserve.
- Add the rest of the oil and colour all the vegetables, then add the tomato paste and cook for a further minute.
- Add the oxtail, red wine, peppercorns, bay and stock and bring to a light boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer for two hours with a lid on - oxtail must be succulent and falling off the bone.
- Strain off the liquid and reserve it for another dish. Pick the meat off the bone and shred finely with fingers, add the thyme, truffle oil and salt to taste.
- Sweat onions in butter until soft, no colour.
- Add wine and cook for five minutes.
- Add water, cream and cheese off cuts.
- Cook for 20 minutes on low heat, making sure cheese does not burn on bottom, add lemon and strain & check seasoning.
- Roll the pasta very thin and place it on front of you, place a teaspoon of oxtail at the top end of the pasta and roll the pasta over it so that the pasta just overlaps.
- Push down on either side of the oxtail to encapsulate the filling (it should look like a small pillow).
- Roll the pillow 90 degrees and crimp down the ends and cut it with a rippled pasta wheel to form the Agnolotti shape.
- Store on a floured tray in the fridge.