Market of the Month
Markets are the trendy new way for families and friends to get together on the weekend. Filled with fresh produce, culinary delights, handmade goods and local art, these social hotspots are the places to see and be seen. Recognising this growing trend, this month House and Leisure has introduced a brand new feature called Market of the Month. The inaugural article in the November issue throws the spotlight on the Shongweni Farmers' and Craft Market – a charming country market in Assegay, outside Durban. For those who don't call the humid shores of Durban home, over the next few months HL will be featuring markets across the country. Here's a sneak peek of what's to come, including dates to diarise and special events for the weeks ahead: Durban What: The Food Market is hosting a special Halloween market, just in time for All Hallows Eve. Visit thefoodmarket.co.za for more information. Date: Saturday, 27 October Where: The Food Market, Hellenic Community Centre, 6 High Grove, Umgeni Park, Durban North. Other Durban markets to check out:
- I Heart Market (first Saturday of the month); People's Park, south side of Moses Mabhida Stadium.
- Essenwood Market (every Saturday); Essenwood Road, Berea Park.
- Shongweni Farmer's Market (every Saturday); Corner Kassier and Alvestone Roads, Assegay (opposite the new Hillcrest Hospital).
- Neighbourgoods Market (every Saturday); 73 Juta Street, Braamfontein.
- Bamboo Farmers' Market, in collaboration with Slow Food Joburg (every Saturday); 53 Rusternburg Road, Melville.
- Jozi Food Market (every Saturday); the Pirates Sports Club, Braeside Road, Greenside.
- Kamers vol Geskenke (21 - 27 October); Lourensford Estate, Somerset West. Tickets available online.
- Bay Harbour Market (Fridays, 5pm - 9pm, Saturdays and Sundays, 9:30am - 4pm); 31 Harbour Road, Hout Bay. Check out the next Comedy Supper Club evening with Tracey Klass, Peter Sserwanga and Marcel Oudejans on 7 November. Tickets available online or at the door.
- City Bowl Market on Hope (Thursday evenings, 4:30pm-8:30pm, ); 14 Hope Street, Gardens.