As predicted in our 2012 Trend Report, food trucks are popping up all over the country. The Cape Town Food Trucks association and First Thursdays events in Cape Town provide opportunities for a number of food trucks to gather in the city centre on weekdays. Elsewhere in the country and over weekends food trucks are often found at local markets, concerts and in busy city centres. We created a list of some of our favourite food trucks across South Africa. Remember to bring cash! CAPE TOWN
- Limoncello: Chef Luca Castiglione from Naples serves gourmet Italian food from the Limoncello food truck in and around the city of Cape Town. Favourite meals include cheesy calzones, risotto and sweet treats such as Nutella bombs.
- Juice Deli : For healthy treats like freshly squeezed juices and delicious wraps, visit the Juice Deli at Oudekraal on Wednesdays and Sundays. During the rest of the week they can be found at the Saltriver Cirle.
- El Burro: Harking back to the original Mexican food trucks in the United States, El Burro serves Mexican street food such as ceviche, chilli rellenos and tacos.
- The Good Life: If it is real gourmet food you’re after, look no further than The Good Life truck. With prawn tempura and sumac aioli, designer beef burgers and Thai crab salad wraps on the menu, they take fast food to a whole new level. Find them at Oudekraal or in front of Charly’s Bakery.
- The Soft Machine: Unique South African flavours such as Melktert and Moerkoffie sets the Soft Machine ice cream truck apart from the rest. Flavours change daily and include unique combinations such as sweetcorn served with tomato jam.
- StrEAT Cuisine: Usually found on the streets of Rosebank and Sandton during the week, this food truck serves seasonal cuisine with popular dishes including Manhattan Godfather Meatballs, Slow Roasted Sticky Devilled Chicken Hoagies and American Wild Berry Pancakes. Weekend warriors can find the StrEAT Cuisine truck at local markets and big events.
- Cocobel Desserts: Look out for this bright old shipping container turned food truck in Maboneng at Maverick’s Corner. Cocobel specialises in granitas, frozen yoghurts and other sweet treats.
- Balkan Burger Bus: Satisfy your burger craving with delicious Serbian-style burgers from the Balkan Burger Bar’s food truck, the Balkan Burger Bus, operating Mondays to Fridays.
- Tutto Food Co.: If you’re looking for delicious seafood paellas or flatbreads, don’t miss the Tutto Food Co. in Sandton or Midrand.
- Full of Beans: Grab a cup of joe at Full of Beans, a portable barista station usually found in the Houton Estate area delivering quality coffee on the go.
- Afro’s Braai’d Chick’n: As we’ve featured previously, this portable chicken station serves braaied chicken strips and burgers with hand-cut chips and their popular ‘hot’ or ‘koel’ sauces at affordable prices. Always on the move, Afro's Braai'd Chick'n can usually be found at major Durban events.
Text Astrid Sanders