Balmy summer evenings bring back fond memories of outdoor entertaining under gentle lighting, a table surrounded by friends or family and adorned with delicious food. It’s not difficult to get people outdoors during the hot summer months and there’s something about dining alfresco that instantly makes us feel more relaxed.
Here, Shereen Fihrer, design guru at interior design consultancy Head Interiors, suggests five things to keep in mind when readying a table for entertaining:
- When setting your table do not shy away from bold colours – strong shades will help to bring your table to life
- Invest in tableware that you can always easily add to, so if extra guests pop over unexpectedly or you have breakages, you won’t have to serve food on odd, mismatched plates
- Make use of various prints to add interest; graphic, geometric patterns are set to be very popular over the summer season
- Pay attention to small details, like your choice of serviettes – there are some beautifully designed options out there
- Create an eye-catching tableau by making use of items of different heights to add depth – tiered stands, candlesticks and vases are all great examples.
For your outdoor occasion, it’s worthwhile investing in unique pieces for your table – after all, presentation is everything – and Head Interiors is the solution to all your outdoor decor needs. This leading commercial and residential design firm recently opened a gift shop in Johannesburg. Our selection below is great to own and will make for generous gifts too.
Black Oval Tray
A classic tray will go a long way. Whether it is to serve drinks, to use for candles or as a food platter, this oval black tray is a must-have. The black colour and glass base make this a contemporary item and the cut-out shapes add a botanical femininity.
The potten plates
This potten plate set could have been picked up from a Moroccan souk during our travels – sadly, this is not true. The intricate patterning and use of colour make this dinner service a great decorative piece for the table. The prints are fun and ideal for creating a statement. We love the idea of mixing and matching different prints.
Gone are the days of plain white serviettes. Nowadays, the selection is so extensive, it can be challenging to choose the right one for your table. This classic red and white lined set has a slight Mediterranean feel and is perfect for any table, smart or casual.
The pols jugs
A colourful jug is a great statement piece and these Pols jugs really stand out from the rest. Their unique shape adds charm to your table, whether you use just one or the entire set.
The candle stick
Our balmy dinner party would not be the same without candlelight. A silver candlestick will be the perfect final touch to your set table. The beaten metal adds a dimmed shine, while its classic shape makes this item a worthwhile investment.
For more information on Head Interiors, visit headinteriors.com