Q&A: How to Survive Load Shedding
Load shedding has started again and it seems it's here to stay. So, to help us through this dark time we asked Mr. Power for some advice.
HL chatted to Mr. Power about how we can survive load shedding on all budgets:
Load shedding seems to be here to stay… and along with increasing electricity tariffs, the need to explore and invest in alternative ways to power your home and office has become a necessity.
The Mr. Power team would like to offer the following solutions on how to take your ‘proverbial’ power back during this infamous load shedding era.
- When the power goes off unexpectedly – switch off (or unplug) all appliances immediately (either at the plug or electricity board). This will protect them from the surge of power when the electricity comes back on again
- Pre-preparation – keep all your devices charged, pre-prepare meals and boil the kettle before load shedding is scheduled to start
Mr. Power Team recommends the following on a R500-load-shedding budget:
- Keep an ample suppy of candles
- For more light, purchase a few emergency 'plug-in' lights that will come on immediately if the power fails – keep a few plugged in around the house - ±R100 each
- Buy a few battery operated touch-lights that can be attached to walls and doors
- Invest in a good torch
Mr. Power Team recommends the following on a R2000-load-shedding budget:
- Think camping: use a gas braai for cooking and heating outside
- Have a Mr. Power Geyser Controller installed to pre-programme the geyser to heat prior to load shedding – and save around 50% of your geyser bill at the same time!
- Invest in a solar kit from Mr. Power which has up to four LED lights, keep it charged with direct sunlight and have light readily available at night
Mr. Power Team recommends the following on a higher load-shedding budget:
- Another great option is buying a Mr. Power auto charger / inverter / battery unit as it is ideal to run your TV / Satellite unit, computers and even a low energy lamp for up to four hours (retailing from R5 000 - R12 000)
For more advice and information, visit mrpower.co.za or call the Mr. Power team directly on 011 804 2988.