PIKUNA art weekend
Standing for 'PI-ketberg KUns-NAweek', PIKUNA literally translates to the Piketberg art weekend, which will be underway between Friday, 21 September, and Monday, 24 September (Heritage Day). One fantastic way to celebrate our country's heritage is through art and the wide range of creative talent we have here on our home soil. If you're in the Rooi-Karoo area, be sure to stop by in Piketberg to see plenty of interesting art by well-known local names from far and wide. There will be various open studios and cameo solos taking place. Some of the highlights include:
- On Friday night, the weekend will kick off with a gig by guest artists Richard Smith and Carl Becker and their band, 'The Pencilmen' to launch the new bar at The Art Business Contemporary Gallery.
- The official opening ceremony of PIKUNA will be on Saturday at 10am at the BiO gallery.
- Pop Artist Alex Hamilton will host a solo exhibition at The Art Business Contemporary Gallery, entitled 'Hello Piketberg'. The series of hand-cut stencil works is influenced by the town's 'eclectic mix of architectural styles from different eras'.
- 'Indulgences', a group show featuring top South African artists, will open on Saturday at 14:30pm with high tea, at The Art Business Contemporary Gallery.
- Amongst others, renowned artists Johann Louw, Sandra Hanekom, Clare Menck, Annelie Venter and Lesley Aylward will open their studios to the public in historical homes and barns, located throughout Piketberg. A Saturday morning walkabout has been arranged with each artist at their respective venues.
- Artists participating from other parts of the country include Kennett Sinclair and Jan du Toit (both from Cape Town) and Eugenie Marais from Pretoria.