How to liven up an industrial space
Kate Shepherd, founding owner of creative hub Something Different and Something Desired, takes a cue from the cool, sophisticated decor execution done for the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA), with a few tips for achieving a similar look at home.
Briefed by Canelle Creative Consulting to create an inviting yet eclectic space outside the brand-new Zeitz MOCAA, Shepherd and her team delivered with warm, on-trend mustards, emeralds, caramels and teals, adding interest to the space and standing out against the building’s cool exterior. These tones have just the softness and elegance needed to break the industrial look of concrete and glass.
Read on for Shepherd’s advice for applying this aesthetic to your own decor.
1. Choose colours suited to both a masculine and feminine environment to ensure it doesn’t date.
2. Identify a key colour scheme and use small items to add additional touches and details. This is also an opportunity for you to add in current trends and colours which may or may not be as popular some years down the line.
3. Choose one piece of furniture that immediately catches your eye and build around it.
4. Colour is magic! Use it wisely to create depth and richness in an industrial space.
5. Green always make a space come alive. Bring it into your space with plants, a green-hued couch, scatter cushions or small items.
6. If you’re using emerald, complimentary colours are navy and teal – a huge trend we’ll be seeing this summer.
Shop the look at something-different.co.za.