Recipe: Potato, Chorizo and Egg Tacos with Salsa Verde
Fill your home with aromatic flavours of these delicious tacos for breakfast, its going to be a hit with family and friends.
Breakfast tacos are the bomb. If you're feeling adventurous, you could make your own tortillas, but bought work well.
- 2 potatoes (200gm each), peeled and cut into 2cm-3cm dice
- 8 tortillas (we used corn)
- 1½ tbsp neutral oil, such as vegetable or grapeseed
- 2 smoked chorizo (130gm each), diced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 tsp paprika
- Handful of baby spinach leaves
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
- 1 avocado, cut into 2cm dice Coriander and lime wedges, to serve
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
Place potato in a large saucepan of cold water, add a pinch of salt and bring to the boil, then boil until potatoes are tender (4-6 minutes). Drain well.
Meanwhile, for salsa verde, combine ingredients in a bowl with 2-3 tbsp water and season to taste with salt.
Heat a char-grill pan or frying pan over high heat and cook tortillas until warm (1-2 minutes each side). Wrap in a clean tea towel to keep warm and soft.
Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add chorizo and fry until browned (2-3 minutes). Add cumin and stir until toasted (1 minute), then add potato and paprika and fry, stirring, until potato is well coated (2-3 minutes).
Add spinach and stir until wilted (1 minute), then transfer mixture to a bowl and wipe out the pan.
Add remaining oil to pan over medium-high heat, then add egg and cook without stirring for 1 minute, then stir continuously until just beginning to set (2-3 minutes). Add potato mixture and stir into egg, then divide among tortillas.
Top with avocado, salsa verde and coriander and serve with lime wedges and remaining salsa.
This recipe serves four and takes 10 minutes prep time with a total of 20 minutes cooking time.