House and Leisure Before & After 2018: House #5
Every year, our readers enter their upgraded homes into our annual renovations competition. This year's finalists are simply brilliant. The winners are determined by reader votes, so make sure to vote for your favourite. The winners of the House and Leisure Before & After competition will receive a trip for two to Thailand for a 5-star break. Incredible prizes are up for grabs by 13 lucky readers, just by voting for their favourite reader's home or room renovation. Prizes include Caesarstone Surfaces to the value of R10 000, a Sophia chandelier from K Light worth R10 000, a two-night stay for four guests sharing at Abalone House's Pool Villas, in Paternoster on the West Coast, worth R12 000 and much more! You can only vote once, so be sure to choose wisely.
Reader's Renovation: House #5
Previously an underwhelming house, this Green Point abode is now a sophisticated retreat that makes the most of limited space and opens up to superb sea vistas.
Holger & Garth's Top 5 Renovation Tips
- Use a creative architect or draughtsperson, as their expertise can add enormous value.
- Ask to see the final plans in 3-D format so that you are able to visualise the end result before you begin.
- Have an all-inclusive budget to prevent being lumped with unplanned costs – then stick to it. Also, it's important to shop around, as prices vary widely.
- Use a reputable builder and contractors.
- You'll need nerves of steel because renovating is stressful – but it will be worth it in the end.