Buying a Second-hand Sofa
Posted: 03 June 2014
BEST BUYS: Pick an area packed with second-hand shops and antique stores to start your search. If wandering around and scratching through dusty furniture isn't really your thing, try Gumtree, which always has a huge choice of good-as-new second-hand finds and new offerings from manufacturers too. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
- Try a big rounded sofa with back and arm support, which is low-slung for a modern spin.
- Trendy corner couches are perfect for extra seating in multifunctional rooms.
- Modular units build up your seating requirements. Instead of pushing them against a wall, use them to divide an open-plan room.
- If you have a small space, look for a compact sofa with narrow arms that won’t constrict the flow in the room. Make sure it has clean lines to avoid the bulky look.
- A sectional sofa is ideal for a big room where you entertain or where the whole family gathers.
- A compact two-seater is just right for an intimate get-together in a smaller room.
- Sleeper couches are great for TV rooms.