21 covetable kitchen items
Of all the rooms in the house, the kitchen is surely the one that demands the most gadgets and tools. So that you can get optimal use and enjoyment out of your culinary space, we've rounded up 21 items, appliances and utensils to fill it with this season.
1. sweet-toothed tea towelWe love the philosophy that this new 'Eat Cake for Breakfast' tea towel from Zana lives by. It's certainly a positive addition to a kitchen.
2. cheerful side platesThe Nomadic Lux stoneware side plates from Woolworths' new winter 2016 homeware collection bring festive cheer to the kitchen table bound to brighten up gloomy days. They're available in three different colourful patterns.
3. a flawless frotherIf you're an avid cappuccino or latte drinker, you need to have Nespresso's new Aeroccino 4 milk frother in your kitchen - it whips up two types of hot foam (airy or dense), cold foam and hot milk at the touch of a button.
Read more about the Aeroccino 4.
4. a butter dish with personalityEvery block of butter deserves a good home, right? And we think the ceramic dishes by local venture Sugar & Vice, with their quirky, tattoo-like illustrations, make for especially stylish shelters for your spread.
5. instant hot chocolateWe're confident you won't disagree that a must-have item for the kitchen this winter is hot chocolate. There's just no getting through those cold nights without it. Award-winning brand NOMU has recently released a box of Just Add Water sachets filled with delicious goodness and deserving of a place right next to your kettle.
6. vegetable pasta makerWith the rising popularity of the Banting diet, this nifty tool from Banks Kitchen Boutique has become a covetable one in many a South African's kitchen. Use it to quickly and easily make anything from zucchini spaghetti to cucumber ribbon noodles.
7. mini bite bowlsLove Milo's gorgeous snack bowl sets, which comprise three porcelain bowls, a wooden platter and in some cases three small spoons, are the perfect trios in which to serve guests little morsels.
8. playful apronsBring Skinny laMinx's eye-catching prints into your kitchen with a cheeky skirt apron that'll keep your clothes clean in style. They're available in a range of designs, including the Airborne pattern below.
9. slicing powerEvery kitchen needs a few great knives, and these carefully designed handmade beauts from local venture Lowry Blade Works are among the best. They're tip-top all-rounder knives and we're fairly fond of the details on the handles too.
10. helpful spoon saverHow cute is this little silicone spoon saver from Monkey Business? It holds onto your cooking utensils tightly so that they don't slip into your boiling soups or stews. Get him locally at Superbalist.
11. sleek milk jugThe gold drip detailing on this ceramic milk jug from Urchin Art lends an everyday object a touch of regal glam. Teatime is bound to be a special affair with this buy and what's more, it's right on trend for 2016.
Read how gold is making a comeback in the world of fashion and design.
12. graphic toasterPerfect for anyone with a sense of humour, this vibrant, playful toaster from Pylones will add a hint of cheer to your kitchen and put a smile on your face every time you brown some bread.
13. a pedestal for cheeseWhen you're not serving Camembert and Brie on this marble and mango wood cheese board from Weylandts, you can use it as a display item in your kitchen - it's certainly handsome enough.
14. master herb choppersWith multiple joined blades, these herb scissors make chopping up basil and fennel a breeze. Get them via Takealot.
15. whistling kettleWoolworths' new winter 2016 homeware collection includes this polished whistling stovetop kettle that matches hot looks with quaint acoustics.
16. stainless steel toolsWith Le Creuset's range of high-quality stainless steel utensils (it includes whisks, a potato masher, strainers, a wire skimmer and a slotted turner), you'll have every weapon you need to fight any sort of culinary battle in the kitchen.
17. beautiful brewerNot only is the hourglass-shaped Chemex coffee maker elegant and sophisticated, but when combined with a cone-shaped filter, it reportedly creates rich, flavourful java too. You can get it online via Bean There.
18. wooden tool setThis three-piece solid Beechwood set (it includes a spatula and a small and large spoon) from Kitchen Craft is one of those essential companions in the kitchen. Locally, you can buy the set in red, green or blue from Superbalist.
19. smooth operatorNo kitchen would be complete without one of Smeg's gorgeous appliances. We're hankering after this sexy blender in the brand's 50s retro-style aesthetic.
If you're really after something bling in the kitchen, take a look at this Smeg fridge in gold with Swarovski crystal embellishment.