WHEN July 2013
WHERE Parktown West, Gauteng
WHAT This bold yet respectful renovation within the heritage-rich area of Parktown West is perched atop an impressive steel framework on a steep, terraced slope like an urban tree house. The Pinheiros were charmed by the character and old-world feel of the original house, but were ultimately won over by the breathtaking vistas, which inspired the vast and unobstructed open-plan upper level that now houses the kitchen, guest bathroom, and dining and living areas. The process of having to repair sagging foundations suggested the potential for a double-storey structure of grand proportions and contemporary style. The couple’s resourceful nature and creative approach is evident in various playful design details such as the outdoor municipal streetlights, the public swimming pool-inspired bathroom and the pinball machine in the living room.
WHO Jaime and Karin Pinheiro.
1. 50s Retro Style refrigerator/freezer in Red R23 500, Smeg
2. Nautical lanterns pendant R1 395, Weylandts
3. FL/Y lamp in Light Blue R3 651, Kartell
4. Tia Maria plain chair R305, Just Seating
5. Movement coffee table with Volakas marble top R38 480, Okha
6. Voido rocking chair by Magis R10 500, Créma Design
7. Tivoli Acquerelli sink mixer R2 290, Italtile
8. Whirlpool extractor (90cm model AKR9801X) R3 780, Hirsch’s
9. Whistling tea kettle (stainless steel) R1 280, Le Creuset
10. Stoneware mixing bowls in Cherry from R425, Le Creuset
11. Bombo replica adjustable stool in Black R896, Robert Thomson