Last year it went to a Xhosa-inspired shawl by knitwear designer Laduma Ngxokolo, and now there are 10 new objects vying for the title of the Most Beautiful Object In South Africa (MBOISA) for 2017. Run alongside Design Indaba‘s annual festival of creativity, MBOISA asks 10 prominent local voices to nominate an item of their choosing before they’re put up to public vote. This year’s selections include the Sankara Rug by textile designer Nkuli Mlangeni and The Hawker’s Rocking Chair No 1 by fashion designer Thebe Magugu and craftsman Emile Millward – but we’re not picking favourites! See them all below, then vote for the object you deem most beautiful, right here.
1. The Sankara Rug by Nkuli Mlangeni
Nominated by Bielle Bellingham.
2. ‘Guam Ntyatyambo’ by Loyiso Mkize
Nominated by Alinah Sloane.
3. ‘The Butterfly Wall’ installation by Mark Rautenbach
Nominated by Jo-Ann Strauss.
4. Rockpool Coffee Table by Caroline Schulz Vieira
Nominated by Roger Ballen.
5. Kariba trailer by Blue Forest Collective
Nominated by Artwell Nwaila.
6. Moroccan Magic Dress by Nandi Mngoma
Nominated by Victor Dlamini.
7. Joe Slovo West Community Project by Kevin Kimwelle
Nominated by Hanneke Schutte.
8. Sculpture from Lefa La Ntate installation by Mohau Modisakeng
Nominated by Nakhane Touré.
9. The Hawker’s Rocking Chair No 1 by Thebe Magugu and Emile Millward
Nominated by Arye Kellman.
10. Indalo Wood Backpack by Inga Gubeka
Nominated by Siba Mtongana.
Visit designindaba.com for information more about the 2017 festival.