OUR WINNING HOUSE OF THE YEAR 2014!
And congrats to our winning voter, Tania Horne, the winner of the Michel Herbelin watch!
WHEN October 2013
ISSUE Indoor Outdoor/20th Birthday Edition
WHERE Pretoria East
WHAT The design for this unexpected construction – a structure built to include four shipping containers with an adjoining evergreen Astro-turf covered garden and playful pool area – was sparked by an image of a container home found on the internet and the desire of the owners, Sacha and Johan Olivier, to create a home that was ‘all about reducing, reusing and recycling’. The interior, the main focal point of which is a double volume open-plan area with a kitchen-cum-library, is a surprising sensory delight with an abundance of quirky details and a Steampunk aesthetic. Sacha’s talent for clever reinterpretations and creating arresting pieces out of unusual finds creates a happy and well-edited graphic blend of industrial elements, monochromatic patterns, warm wood tones and primary colours.
WHO Sacha and Johan Olivier, Once Upon A Time; Riaan Visser, +27 Architects/Café, 084-330-2121
1. White bevelled subway tiles (code: 1131) R4,80/tile (150x75mm), Bathroom Bizarre
2. Cobra Du-970 Dura sink mixer and swivel outlet R1 770, Plumblink
3. Car Scatter R259, Weylandts
4. Black bevelled subway tiles (code: 1139) R6,95/tile (150x75mm), Bathroom Bizarre
5. Narrow Almirah display case R4 650, Tin Table
6. Fisherman antique brass pendant light R1 000, The Lighting Warehouse
7. Pavilion artificial grass R329/m² (excl installation), DuraTurf
8. Bionic Dog R599, Ceramic factory
9. Sapphire Springs 1 50BB 08/171, Dulux
10. Full leather chaise R23 000, Sevens
11. Black metal trunk R750, Continuum
12. Half Moon solid Imbuia ball-and-claw table in High Gloss Yellow, find similar at Vamp R2 050
13. Chesterfield two-division sofa in leather R36 200, Wetherlys
14. Small red cotton hand-knitted pouffe R799, Rochester