The streets of Maboneng Precinct, East Johannesburg have been undergoing major urban renewal for some time. Now, following suit, the precinct’s walls will be the subject of a street art project that will see the traditional notion of a gallery at a public level. Presented by adidas Originals, and currently running throughout September, five of the world’s most renowned artists will be hitting the streets (and walls) of Maboneng Precinct. The product will be six large-scale wall murals scattered over the area’s facades with 400 litres of paint supplied by Plascon. The artists invited to participate are:
- Madrid’s Remed, whose bold, cubist inspired artworks have a distinctly African edge to them.
- Sign writing authority Steve ‘ESPO’ Powers and The Icy Sign Team of New York.
- Belgium’s Roa who specialises in oversized animal graphics.
- South Africa’s own Falko (Cape Town) and Cameron Platter (Durban) who will be teaming up on a joint project.
- Furthermore, New Yorkan street culture photographer Martha Cooper will be documenting each of the artists in action.
Also not to be missed is the STR/CRD/12 festival over the weekend of 29 September in Maboneng. adidas Originals will also be hosting the screening of the Steve ‘ESPO’ Powers documentary ‘LOVE LETTER TO YOU’ as well as I ART JOBURG Talks, both free to the public. Throughout October, visitors are welcome to join guided I ART JOBURG Walks curated by Ricky Lee Gordon a.k.a. Freddy Sam of /A WORD OF ART. Catch I ART JOBURG live this month on the streets of Maboneng, Johannesburg. Alternatively, take a guided tour of the wall murals throughout October with Ricky Lee Gordon. Visit the I ART JOBURG website for information and updates.