THE SOUTH AFRICAN INTERIOR Designer of the Year Awards 2011, proudly brought to you by The Fabric Library in association with House and Leisure and IID, is about celebrating inspired spaces and honouring extraordinary local talent and innovation in the field of interior design and decorating.
THE AWARDS PROGRAMME
The awards programme, which was open to everyone, includes Retail, Corporate, Hospitality, Residential and Public Design categories for professional interior decorators and designers, as well as a student-level Interior Design category. There was an overwhelming number of entries from talented designers and decorators across Africa and our panel of judges (pictured below) were faced with a difficult task. After much deliberation, the judges selected the short list of finalists (see over the page), with the overall winners to be picked from the top projects from each category. Thanks to everyone who participated and best of luck to our finalists! For more information, visit interiordesigneroftheyear.co.za or fabriclibrary.co.za. Alternatively, call 086-011-1466 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Judging took place at The Saxon Hotel and Spa in Joburg. The panel of judges (pictured in the second image above, from left) included House and Leisure editor Naomi Larkin, Marcia Margolius, author of SA Décor & Design – The Buyers’ Guide, and celebrity entertainer Nataniël.
THE SHORT LISTS
We are proud to introduce the short-listed finalists in each category…
THE SA INTERIOR DECORATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD
1. Residential/Commercial: Sandra Bowler Interiors for Residential Design Studio, Gauteng.
2. Residential/Commercial: Tracy Lynch for Brite Blue’s offices (pictured) and Old Mac Daddy Trailer Hotel, both Western Cape. (Collaborating colleagues, respectively: Julie Kenney, Greg Wright Architects, Harry van der Bank and Pedersen + Lennard)
3. Residential: Wessel van Deventer Interiors for Tamboerskloof holiday flat, Western Cape.
THE SA INTERIOR DESIGNER OF THE YEAR AWARD
1. Hospitality: Site Interior Design for POD boutique hotel, Western Cape. (Collaborating colleagues: Greg Wright Architects)
2. Corporate: Aidan Hart, Inhouse Brand Architects, for Union Swiss head office, Western Cape.
3. Retail: Louise Ainslie, LuLa Design, for Hurley store, Western Cape.
4. Public: Wendy-Anne Press, (inside) design, for St Cyprian’s School’s senior classrooms, Western Cape.
5. Residential/Hospitality: Silvio Rech, Silvio Rech and Lesley Carstens Architecture and Interiors for Dalrymple Pavilion and Randlords (pictured), both Gauteng. (Collaborating colleagues: Lesley Carstens, Aparna Ramani and Marcel Peeperkorn)
THE EMERGING DESIGNER OF THE YEAR AWARD
1. Tasmin Love, from BHC School of Design, for Burlap.
2. Sinegugu Sosibo, from Durban University of Technology, for Trifecta.
3. Kirsty Sutherland, from Style Design College, for Senses.
DESIGN EXCELLENCE AND INNOVATION AWARD
1. Douw de Kock for Live Music, Western Cape.
2. Rolecia Nell for Science Museum, Port Elizabeth.
The short-listed finalists will be invited to attend the Awards Evening – taking place in Joburg – where the winners in each category will be announced. The winning designers will also be published in the December issue of House and Leisure, so watch this space!